Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Monday, May 18th

Yay, I made it to Malawi! No more falling off buses or anything like that. I am at the World Relief offices in Lilongwe, hanging out and doing my best without the internet (I wrote this blog ahead of time on 5/18). My suitcase is heavier than I thought it would it be; which I found out when my supervisor was trying to carry it for me. Note #1 – pack lighter suitcases in case someone offers to carry it for you. I can see it being a pain in the next couple weeks, but oh well. Everyone at the office seems pretty nice and friendly, though the language barrier makes it a bit harder to fit right in. But hopefully as I get to know more people at the office and am around more often, it will be easier.
On another note – this week is election week in Malawi, tomorrow is voting day! I will probably be in Lilongwe for the next week so I will be around to find out the results and such. It will be interesting to see how the city reacts. Deborah (my supervisor) says it is much different than the US in that the celebration is louder, or at least no matter where you are, you will be able to hear it. She compared it to when Malawi wins a soccer match against an opponent, and that really made me want to go watch a soccer game...sigh.
But so far, so good! I need to work on taking pictures and stop caring about looking like a tourist, which is probably unavoidable since I am obviously not from Malawi. I have two more months, so I am hoping that is enough time to stock up and use up all the memory on my camera and my computer 

No comments:

Post a Comment