Friday, May 22, 2009

Malawi Presidential Inauguration!!

Today the Malawi president was sworn in!! It is a day that has been long awaited with much anticipation by the Malawi people. The swearing in ceremony took place right before lunch so every one was coming in and watching, commenting on the what was going on. Lunch was very lively, needless to say, everyone was discussing and reacting to the president's speech and what he said or promised. This is the president's (Bingu) second term, each term in Malawi is 5 years. So the first part of his speech was about what had been accomplished in his last term. He said that Malawi was not a poor country because of its increasing economic growth, that it has been making fast progress. Bingu praised Malawi for its practice of democracy and said that it should continue to be a symbol of the country. He mentioned the treatment of HIV/AIDS, the importance of education in socioeconomic development, and emphasized the need for food security and self sufficiency. and all that interesting stuff that i am sure you all want to know about... The remarks were met with both enthusiasm and some skepticism but it was fun to hear everyone debate and have good conversation. : )

My last day with full internet access for a while!! I am leaving for Embangweni, Mzimba on Monday and they don't really have internet, or it doesn't work, rather. So today besides watching the inauguration I have basically just been on the computer soaking up what I can of life with internet. I supposed I could be doing something productive like school work that I need to do for the fall....but noooo, who in their right mind would choose that over doing nothing? Later. When I am realllly bored and have no internet.

Random: the currency here is called kwacha, right now the exchange rate is $1 = 178 kwacha

To greet people here you say "muli bwanji" which is how are you? and respond "ndili bwino" meaning I am fine. I remember the response because it sounds like the Spanish word for good, bueno, I think. And then you say "kaya inu" which is basically asking how are you back to the person who first did the asking. So practice, ready?

Me: Muli bwanji
You: Ndili bwino, kaya inu?
Me: Bwino, thank you

People speak a mix of Chichewa and English here as English is the business language and Chichewa is the conversational and national language. But in Mzimba they speak a completely different language called Tumbuka (I think). I don't know any words in Tumbuka at all...sooo maybe I'll learn! Later friends!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, the inauguration is really close to the election date.

    I've had so much fun reading your posts, and I'm glad you're doing well!

    (this is Claire, btw-- it won't let me comment just as myself, so I guess I'll use my AIM username)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a message I received from a Facebook friend who does work in Malawi. His name is John Gash.
    -"Know she will be having a fantastic time there George. We have a team of 24 others there now too, mostly working in Nkhoma, about 35 minutes south of Lilongwe the capital. (Working with our partners World Vision, Opportunity International Bank Malawi, EAM Cheif's Ministry, Nkhoma Synod Youth Department, and Fishers, Trainers & Senders Ministry. Elections were Tuesday as I am sure you know...and exciting time for her to be there!"......Dad xo

    ReplyDelete