Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Weekend (July 18th - 19th)

So...I didn't end up going to the bridal shower. Over the weekend I visited the homes and villages of two of my friends from World Relief. On Saturday, I went to the village of Van'galala, a village about an hour away (driving) from the town of Embangweni, meaning Mr.Tembo, the security guard at WR, has to walk more than an hour every day to work. Owen drove and dropped me off. The day was a very cold and cloudy one, so I think that kind of put me in a down mood. I got the feeling that I was being dropped off in the middle of nowhere, and was hoping not to stay too long that day because I was tired and "eh" feeling. You know, the kind of day you just want to spend doing nothing instead of meeting new people and being outgoing, even that sounds horrible of me to say when I have gone to a whole new country, so of course I am going to be meeting new people.

The morning went ok, we had chips (fried potatoes) and tea for breakfast and talked and I met the kids, one, Rabbi, who persisted to run away every time I got near (so of course I chased after him just to make myself more scary) and the other, a girl, who went silent every time I was in close proximity. : ) But it was fun. I ended up staying over Mr.Tembo's house until 5pm. Owen came around 12pm to check in, and I was kind of surprised when he left me there for another 5 hours, but looking back it was a really nice afternoon, we made fresh popcorn and the best donuts I think I had in Malawi. The day showed how important it is to try and change your mindset and enjoy the day, even if you would much rather be doing something else. I wish my disposition on this day had been easier to change, but still it was good, and so kind of the family to open up their home to me. It's a big deal because even though the family cannot afford much, they are still so generous to guests and welcoming, so I am very thankful that they opened their home to me, and hope I was able to show that.

Sunday, I went with my other friend at WR (who is also a security guard)to his village, which was closer by. His name is Abraham Ziba, and I don't know if I have mentioned this in a former post, but he has basically kept me sane on the days in the office when I have had nothing to do. Because he usually has nothing to do either, besides guarding the office, which in mid-day, means nothing but sitting and listening to music and talking to whoever is nearby. This summer that was me. So to keep ourselves busy we basically talked about everything under the sun, especially "muzungus," which was mostly laughter, and other issues, like cultural differences, differences between black and white people...etc. I think I may have broke the mold for Abraham's vision of white people, I have no idea why, besides that I walked places (apparently muzungus rarely do, they drive) and talked to Malawians, or didn't mind visiting the villages. He was a funny guy and besides or with Owen, he was the guy I could just about any question to, regarding culture or other issues, and not feel awkward. A very chill and fun guy, I will miss his friendship in the US.

Anyway, I visited Abrahams's house, which was basically two rooms, together making up about the size of my kitchen at home, or the dorms at Furman, maybe smaller. No chairs, just one stool. Puts things into perspective, yes? I met his wife and 6 month old son, the cutest little boy ever! I have never seen him once stop laughing or smiling, no kidding. No crying or crankiness, just smiling and laughter. His name is innocent. I then met Abraham's brother, and uncles, father, cousins (they all live in the same village) and then visited their garden, where I was given some fresh maize and sugar cane. Sugar cane = amazing, but I am somewhat incapable of managing it. I get impatient with peeling off the layers to get the sugary part, and am somewhat uncomfortable with the whole chewing it and then spitting it back out...but it is good! Anything that is pure sugar cannot be bad in my book :)

Tomorrow begins the training for new caregivers. Two weeks of doing nothing to be discussed next.

No comments:

Post a Comment