Thursday, August 6, 2009

The last couple of days at WR and Leaving Embangweni and Malawi

I left WR on Thursday with Deborah, the Child Development coordinator for Lilongwe. Originally I had hoped to leave on Friday (didn't want to spend 2 days doing nothing, waiting to fly out of Malawi), but that wasn't possible, so we left Embangweni and the training in Mtuzuzu on Thursday and went to Nkotakota, by Lake Malawi, and Salima on Friday. It turned out to be an ok thing, because I got to do some shopping for my family, but still sad to say goodbye to my friends!

The night before I left we had a goodbye get together at Mr.Nyirongo's house with all of the WR staff (all three and Abraham) and their families. It was nice to see everyone and eat together the usual feast of (drum roll please) the basic carbs - nsima, rice, chips (my fave), spaghetti**, then chicken, beef, some other meat, vegetables, more... And then for dessert, I made a surprise chocolate cake(I used a boxed mix a wonderful thing to bring abroad for long stays abroad btw, if you tend to miss sweets)which went over well. AND the highlight of my evening/end of my Malawi experience was when I was presented with a traditional Malawian outfit as my going away gift from the office! I love it and it was so sweet of them to chip and buy something so special! Ask me whenever, I will show you, the outfit is a top and a skirt, bright green and blue design with flowers. Nothing could be better and it will remind me so well of my time in Malawi. Mr.Nyirongo, Mr.Kaunda, Mr.Tembo, Owen, and Abraham, were wonderful friends and the best colleagues one could ask for in a workplace, so friendly and they helped me so much over the summer. Even if I couldn't speak Tumbuka or understand what they were saying all of the time, seeing their smiles and hearing their laughter (which was 99% of our time in the office) always made my day amazing. I could go on about how I loved the people I met in Malawi, but you'll have to just ask me sometime. Overall, I was where I was supposed to be and was very blessed to have this experience. I have learned so much and don't it for granted that I was given the opportunity to go to Malawi and do all that I did. Thanks for reading, I hope that it has been meaningful, interesting, and/or entertaining! Bye for now, friends : )


Maddie

*After leaving Embangweni, I did visit the lake and go back to Lilongwe for the last couple of days. In Lilongwe, I stayed with the same family I stayed with at the beginning of my trip - the Lumunga's - which was wonderful, before leaving on Sunday. My flight from Malawi to Ethiopia and then to Washington DC went smoothly, and I arrived home safely Monday morning.

**The spaghetti was cooked in my honor, it's my comfort food you could say, and I told them that it was the only thing that I could cook back home, so we always had it during our dinners : )

No comments:

Post a Comment