Saturday, June 20, 2009

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Irish group that had been staying at the guest house left today. They were a fun bunch to be around and were really welcoming to me and two other girls that just arrived from England, who are also staying in Malawi until early August. The two girls, Divina and Fiona, are medical students working at the Embangwane hospital, which is next door to the guest house. Most people who come work in the hospital, the secondary school, and the deaf school, all which are very close by to the guest house. Since Divina and Fiona are staying here almost the exact amount of time I am, I am sure we’ll get to be good friends, already we are having a good time. Yesterday, the one day I ate lunch out in the field, two girls from the US who work for the Peace Corps stopped by to find me. The one day I am not there...figures.
Saying goodbye to the Irish group involved lots of hugs and words of encouragement. It was nice getting the hugs and feeling that kind of closeness of friends, especially being a place where hugs aren’t really exchanged so much. They were all so friendly and kind : ) sharing their time and fellowship with me and the others staying here. I said last night when we had time to share that when you are traveling alone and independent, you soon find out that you are neither alone nor independent. When you are working for God and following His way, the Bible says that He will hold your hand (Isaiah 42:6). I think He does through His presence, but also through providing us with a community of fellow believers, friends, to keep us company and encourage us. And in being independent, we are actually dependent; dependent on the kindness, love, generosity, and caring of others around us, because there are somethings we cannot do on our own. It can be much harder to enjoy a meal after a long day when you’re alone, or understand that everyone has hard days and faces tough situations. You can’t really laugh the same or about the same things, or get the same perspective. I think God has met this need that maybe I didn’t think of or at least didn’t worry about, and it’s turned out to be one of the best parts of my trip, meeting people both from Malawi and from other places that have meant so much to my growth as a person and as a Christian.

Yesterday, we visited a childcare center in Mtuzuzu to observe the class and talk to the caregivers. Usually when guests visit, they are invited to a meal. In the past we’ve said no because it usually takes a long time when we have places to be, but this time I felt bad refusing and why not? I kinda wanted to avoid feeling like that random white person who comes into your class just to tell what to do, what you’re doing wrong, and how to do it right. It was nice, and I felt much more like a friend or accepted at least by the caregivers after accepting their invitation, even if the meal was a little awkward. Usually, when there are guests, they eat alone in the house after being served. However, since Owen doesn’t usually eat lunch after 12, one of the caregivers was eating with me, and I could kind of sense the out-of-the-ordinariness of the situation, I probably didn’t help the awkwardness...but it was good, at least we left on very good terms, even I missed the girls from the Peace Corps and made us leave hours later than usual. It’s good sometimes to take the extra time to get to know some people, even if it might take away from other things...

No comments:

Post a Comment